Saturday, May 16, 2009

Brainwashing

This morning I was watching Cartoon Network and they showed this block of programs they have set to premier next month. Nothing wrong with new shows, right? No, but there is a problem when none of them are animated. Believe it or not, that's not the biggest issue I have, these are all reality shows!!!!

Now, I've made it crystal clear that I'm no fan of reality shows. They're nothing but mindless drivel that pollutes the airways in place of quality scripted shows...all so the networks can save a few bucks. Having said that, I have heard that reality shows have been losing some steam. My guess is that the major networks have been whispering in Cartoon Network's ears to get these on the air so that when the kids that watch them get older they'll be huge fans of reality. Can we say brainwashing?

Of course, it wasn't that long ago that CBS tried an all kids reality show. I can't remember the name of it, but it worked for a couple of weeks, then people got tired of it. It was more controversial than anything what with dropping off kids to run a town in the middle of the desert somewhere. I'm not sure how these will do. My guess is they'll fare better, since they're on a "kids" network, but I still don't...scratch that...I HOPE they fail!

Is it so wrong to want scripted shows on TV? Since this is Cartoon Network, shouldn't they be showing cartoons, anyway? Maybe I'm just too old school in my way of thinking. Anyone out there agree with me?

No comments: