Wednesday, January 18, 2012

SOPA

If you've ever seen The Simpsons Movie then you may remember the scene where Grandpa Simpson is convulsing on the floor screaming EPA like it was a bad thing. Well, if that was to happen today, he would be screaming SOPA.

What is SOPA? Well, I'd give you a link to the wikipedia article. but they and many other sites are blacked out today in protest. Something I totally support, and think you should as well.

I don't know all the details about it, but basically anytime I put up something like this:

I am subject to copyright infringement according to this bill. Not only that, but I would get blacklisted, blogger would get shut down, and my internet service provider would be subject to some legal action.

You can see why everyone is so up in arms about this? No matter what side of the political spectrum you're on, this is nothing more than the government's blatant attempt to get their greedy little hands all up in the internet so they can control another part of our lives.

Luckily, though, this bill has been sidelined until Congress does more research about it. Thank for them being a bunch of old fuddy duddys who barely know how to turn on their computer, let alone use the internet.

That being said, though, I am in support of all those sites that are in protest today, and hope that lawmakers take notice. With major sites such as wikipeida, wordpress (where my other blog is), and many others blacked out today, they should. That is unless they really don't pay attention to the people that elected them, which actually wouldn't surprise me. I do wonder why youtube isn't part of this blackout, though.

So, what do you think about SOPA?

Just to end on a light note, enjoy this example of what things would be like if SOPA passes by my friend Jeremy.




No comments: