Thursday, June 17, 2010

Stupidity knows no bounds

So, this afternoon I had lunch with an old friend from college. Nothing fancy, just catching up and reminiscing and all that junk. Somehow we got to talking about the shows we watched, didn't watch, or didn't get to watch because of studying,work, practice, etc. I was surprised to find out that her reasoning for not watching a couple of them, though.

Now, we all have our reasons for watching, say, Glee, but detesting something like Law & Order (just using an example. However, I doubt any of us refuse to watch them because of a lack of a certain race.

Yeah, she refused to watch Seinfeld, Friends, and there was something else that I can't think of right now, for the simple fact that there were no black people on there.

Three things about this. First off, she's so white albinos look tan compared to her. Second, how anyone can base their TV habits on race is beyond me, especially if their not of that race. Lastly, she's a fan of Sex & the City, and the couple of episodes I've seen of that overrated mess weren't exactly a melting pot of ethnicites, either, so it's kind of hypocritical.

Now, having said all this, it should be remembered that these are shows from years gone by, and she has matured since then. Just the notion is so stupid that I was taken aback.

Just had to get that out. Thanks for listening...er...reading

2 comments:

Lola said...

I agree with you that it's hypocritical. I'm gay, but I don't not watch shows because they have no gay characters. I will, however, give a show an extra chance if it does have gay characters and I initially don't like a show. I agree that Hollywood should get a clue and create shows that represent everyone, but it's not likely that they even give that a consideration when casting.

Mystery Man said...

no, they probably don't...that would make too muvh sense...and not enough cents...lol