Thursday, May 10, 2012

Comedy...does it exist anymore?

I'm a big fan of old sitcoms. You know like I Love Lucy, I Dream of Jeannie, Green Acres The Cosby Show, etc. These shows were good, clean fun. However, somewhere in the mid-90s, things took a turn and in order to be funny, you have to make sex jokes, insult someone, or just be downright mean. This brings me to ask one question...where is the real comedy?

I say this as I'm watching Chelsea Lately, which has Chelsea Handler and 3 other comedians talking about current events and quite frankly just being mean and insulting to everything and everyone. For some reason, people find this funny. I used to find Chelsea funny, but now she just seems to be mean and annoying.

These movies that are so called "comedies" these days are just as guilty. When they're not forgetting they are a comedy and not a drama, they're full of nothing but sex humor (excluding sex comedies, since they need those kind of jokes), fart jokes, and stuff that just isn't funny.

On the flipside, you watch something like, say, Airplane, and you don't have to do anything but sit there and watch. Within the first 5 minutes, you're on the floor laughing. Yes, there are a few risquee', if you will, jokes, but nothing major.

I don't know, I guess I was just born in the wrong era, but it just seems to me we could use some people that are actually funny (without being mean) and movies/tv shows that don't rely on the rampant sex joke.

What do you think, dear readers?

No comments: