Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Rejection

Today, I had to do the hardest part of my job, which is reject prospective member for next year's band.

I set certain criteria that must be made in order to join. They must have favorable recommendations from 2 teachers, no major disciplinary actions (suspension, recurrent detentions, etc.), and have at least a 2.5 GPA.

This sounds a bit harsh, especially for a middle school, but it weeds out the thugs and less than desirables, as well as makes sure that those that come in are going to be of the dedicated variety. At least that's been the result so far. Not to mention, if you would've seen what I inherited when I took over here a few years ago, you'd understand why I put these in place.

So, of the 48 prospective "newbies" (not counting 6th graders...those are beginners and are welcome no matter what), I had to turn away 27!

Bossman is none too happy about that either, as this was sure to have given the high school a big boost in numbers in a couple of years.

Oh well, things happen, right? Still, as a human being, I hate turning kids away, but I made these guidelines and have to stick to them for the good of my program now and in the future.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

No comments: