Friday, February 1, 2013

Lockdown

I've been under the weather since the past couple of days, but hearing that the kids up at the high school didn't get to go home until 5 or 6 yesterday had me curious, especially since its Friday and school is out at 2:30. Well, here is the answer
A 16-year-old boy was arrested Friday afternoon on suspicion of bringing a sawed-off shotgun to Port Allen High School, according to the West Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office. Another student saw noticed the butt of the shotgun and reported it at about 2:30 p.m., said Col. Richie Johnson. The 16-year-old tried to put the gun in a trash can, Johnson added. The school was placed on lockdown for about 20 minutes. The 16-year-old faces charges of terrorizing, carrying a firearm on a school campus, and possessing a sawed-off shotgun, Johnson said. Police aren't identifying the boy because he's a juvenile.
With all the talk of kids coming to school with guns that we hear on the news, this is the closest it has ever come to me personally. My friends, colleagues, and the kids at the high school seemed to be shook up a bit by this.

Truth be told, if not for a meeting with my principal, I would have been up at the high school, as well. From what I hear, this kid just transferred in from Florida and was already on probation.

We'll have to see what happens as far as fallout from all this. I have to wonder why he would bring a shotgun to school, though. A pistol is one thing, but a shotgun? On top of that, how did he sneak it in?

Anyway, just felt like sharing. Thanks for listening!

No comments: