Thursday, May 13, 2010

Patterns

For those of you that still watch television (there are so few of us these days), I want you to think of the (current) shows you really like.

Now, think of the shows that are really popular and that your friends watch. Do they match up?

I know that they don't with mine. Save for a couple, mos of us watch the shows that end up being canceled.

I say this because it brings to question what the Nielsen boxes really measure. Sure they're supposed to tell networks which shows are being watched by a select group of people, but of those groups, how many match up with your group of fiends?

Not many in my group, that's for sure. So, with the rash of shows the past 3 or 4 years that have been canceled without really getting a chance because networks have been relying on these boxes to tell them what's going on with folks' viewing patterns, one has to wonder...how accurate are they?

If I were to take my group of friends and gauge their viewing patterns, I can guarantee it would be totally different than what networks think is popular.

No comments: