Friday, September 18, 2009

Have your pride, but respect others

My neighborhood is rather mixed. There are whites, Asians, African-Americans, Hispanics, etc., that all live here. It's quite the melting pot.

The other day, for some strange reason, this old guy decided to raise a rebel flag. There is nothing wrong with that, per se, but the fact that he had a US flag flying previous until the lady across the street started dating a black man and he has all but moved in with her.

I'm not one to assume, but it sure seems as if this is race related and meant to send a message to the guy. Don't you think? The worst part is that his next door neighbors are of the African-American persuasion, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with them. Maybe its the interracial thing? Who knows?

I do not care for the Confederate flag. To me, it is a symbol of one of the darker periods in American history. When I was in high school, our big rivals were Rebels and their band had Confederate flag capes on their uniforms. Not exactly the most P.C. of uniforms. I think since then, they've changed it.

As I was saying, the flag is not my favorite thing, but I do respect it as a sign of one's culture. I live in the south, so I see these things all over the place...even in different colors. I'm sue there are those that have it flying, just because they see others doing, and others that take its meaning literally, and then those that use it for historical purposes.

What it all boils down to is that the guy that is currently flying the flag is all but saying he disapproves of the relationship and should go put on a sheet and hood so he can burn a cross in their yard, based solely on his actions.

Again, I have to say, this all assumptions and not fact. It could just be that he felt the desire to fly a Confederate flag for a few days, but ti does seem rather convenient...

No comments: