Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's the Rush?

I'm no fan of the St. Louis Rams. That doesn't mean I don't like them, just that I'm not a fan. I believe they are a franchise that has fallen on hard times these last few years, but these can't last forever. It's not like they're the Detroit Lions!

Apparently the team is for sale and one of the interested parties in none other than that blowhard, Rush Limbaugh. Make no mistake, I have no love for Limbaugh. His views on many things are so totally screwed up that I'm not going to even mention them here, except for the fact that he has been vocal about saying things like the NFL is full of a bunch of thugs, America would be better if slavery was still around, Donovan McNabb gets free pass as quarterback because the media wants an African-American qb to succeed, etc. (these are all paraprhased and not direct quotes, so no one go get their panties in a wad).

Many are saying this guy is a racist. I'm not going to go that far, but he sure does seem to be anti-African Americans. Oddly enough, 66% of the NFL is African American. The Rams may be an even high number.

Around the league many players have spoken out in protest of Limbaugh. Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, who apparently speak for all African Americans have also made their opinions heard, and recently a few owners and Roger Goodell, Commissioner of the NFL, has said that having him as an owner would reflect negatively on the league.

Personally, I am one that believes in giving everyone a chance, but you only get so many chances. Everytime this guy gets a forum, he uses it to spew his hate. Are we to honestly give him the power of an NFL franchise? I can see it now, after each game, he gets up to the podium and thanks the white, conservative players and coaches, while the minority players that haven't left yet, are forced to smile and nod, as he goes on another of his ravings about something political.

So, what is it that he hopes to accomplish by owning a team? Is this some sort of political move? For that matter, what does he know about running a team? Quite frankly, in case you can't tell, I think this is a bad idea, and I hope with every fiber of my being it doesn't get any farther than this speculation.

No comments: