Friday, January 29, 2010

The league that should never be made

Last week, I was watching ESPN and they briefly mentioned how some guy wanted to create an all-white basketball league. By all-white, I mean it was going to exclude African-Americans, Latinos, Asians, and those not born in America.

I didn't think too much about it, because it just sounds so preposterous and was probably some old guy flapping his lips and some reporter heard him and created a story, but apparently there is some steam behind this and it is gaining some stream, at leas in terms of people wanting to know more about it. Not sure if that's more to do with morbid curiosity, or if people want an all-white basketball league.

The guy defends this idea by saying that the NBA is full of thugs and foreign born players and has departed from what basketball originally was. As a former basketball player myself (just in high school), I can say that yeah, basketball is far from what it once was, but if you really think about it, so is just about everything else these days.

Am I the only one that seems to think this guy is off his rocker? An all-white league? Personally, I have a problem with anything that is racially exclusive, but this is just ridiculous, offensive, and not necessary. I haven't heard anyone clamoring for an all-white basketball league that excludes anyone not born in America, have you?

Did I mention he wants this league to have a team set in Augusta, GA. You know the place that is notorious for having one of the most exclusive country clubs, and is literally about as white as liquid paper. Believe it or not, they have declined his offer. Gee, I wonder why? Could it be that this thing is a bad idea, and would be a PR nightmare for any city that houses one of these teams, should it even get off the ground?

I seriously doubt this will go any further than this guy's mind. He claims its not about race. Maybe in this day and age where it seems like everything is about race or sex or something that can be construed as offensive it still seems that way, but he should have never opened his mouth about this. If he really wanted it that bad, then just get a bunch of Klansman and have a pick up game back there in the backwoods somewhere then go burn some crosses. To me, this guy belongs with them.

I was raised to treat everyone as an equal, regardless of their race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, disability, etc. I'm sure that I'm not the only one, but this guy apparently believes that white people deserve an league of their own and everyone else doesn't. Wonder if he has some Hitler in his blood.

No comments: