Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Mystery Man's adventures at the zoo

It's not very often that I post something personal about my daily life here, short of a few sentences here and there, but I figured I'd take the time to tell you about my day at the zoo Saturday.

I had to go for a school function, and initially I wasn't exactly stoked about it, but after the job was done and I dismissed my students, the little woman and I enjoyed a nice little stroll around the zoo.

She loved it, mainly because I've been so busy lately that we haven't been able to go out anywhere, so it was kind of like a date for us.

I wish my camera wouldn't have freaked out on me, because I had this video of a monkey trying to eat a balloon. Now, before you freak out, he wasn't meant to have the balloon. Some kid was trying to blow it up and it slipped from his hand and flew to right outside the monkey's cage where he grabbed it and spent the next few minutes trying to open and eat it. It was sad, but funny and cute at the same time. Sorry, I can't remember what breed he is, I want to say spider monkey, but don't quote me.

Giraffes are known for being friendly creatures, but not to the point where they will let you pet them. Well, I can now boast that I've petted a giraffe. I'm not sure why, but he came down to that little ditch they have around their area and put his head over and I got to pet him. So soft it was!

One thing that was disappointing for me, though was that the big cats (lions, tigers, etc.) were gone. I know that after Gustav they were moved, but they haven't been brought back yet. Why, you may ask? Well, it they're remodeling their exhibit. From what they have up so far, it looks like it'll be a pretty nice space for them. I can't wait for them to be back.

For the first time I got to ride a train. Ok, I've ridden trains before, but never the zoo train. At $1.50/person, we couldn't pass it up. Now, the seats were a bit uncomfortable, but the ride wasn't bad. Too bad there wasn't anything to see, which it probably why it was so cheap...lol

All in all, it was a good day. We didn't leave until closing. This summer we're planning on going to the Audobon Zoo in New Orleans. I'll be sure to have a working camera then.

No comments: