Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Grammys

This Sunday, the Grammy aired on CBS. Apparently, this was one of the highest rated airings since the early 90s. You remember those days, don't you, before the internet, HDTV, and 50 gazillion networks filled with mostly reality TV crap. Anyway, I didn't watch the entire show, but I did flip through when my usual Sunday night shows (The Simpsons, The Cleavland Show, Family Guy, American Dad, and the next to last episode of Worst Cooks in America) went to commercial.

From what I've heard, though, it wasn't much of an awards show. Call me a purist, but I've always been under the impression that an awards show is where they hand out awards.

Now, don't get me wrong, the performances are fine and dandy (and expose who really has talent and who lip syncs), but it seemed like everytime i flipped someone else was performing. If I wanted to see that much useless performing, I'd watch that needs to be put out its misery MTV music awards show.

Having said that, though, I was able to catch the Michael Jackson tribute. It was very moving, but I have a couple of issues with it. First of all, they had Smokey Robinson, Jennifer Hudson, Celine Dion, and...Carrie Underwood? singing. Not to take anything away from Carrie, despite my anti-country music bias, she is very talented, but she just didn't seem to fit with that group (not that Celine was a perfect fit, either). The other thing was the 3D aspect.

I'm not going to go on some tirade about 3D right now, but who actually had the glasses? To my knowledge you can't just go buy the glasses anywhere, and folks that have to see a 3D movie of late, more than likely put the things in that little recycling bin at the door when the movie is over. I don't believe there were any kind of promotions or anything to get free glasses, either, so while it may have been a cool idea and all, it didn't seem well thought out from that point of view.

I could also say something about Michael's children and how well-spoken they were. That truly was one of the most moving parts, hearing them speak about their father.

The other thing I have issue with, was how the highly overrated (in terms of her music and looks) Taylor Swift butchered Stevie Nicks' "Rhiannon". She even forgot the lyrics. If you looked on Stevie's face, you could tell she was doing that just for the paycheck.

Last year, the Grammys did this crap where a "young, hip artist" (it was the Jonas Bros) teamed with a legend (Stevie Wonder). That was even worse, and they're still butchering his music. I can't remember what it was, but they were performing somewhere and just defecated all over like his entire songbook.

Back to Taylor, apparently she won for artist of the year or something. Again, I'm very anti-country music, and think she's highly overrated, but all that aside, I just don't think she deserved it. My thinking is that she's still getting sympathy from voters from that whole Kanye West incident during the summer. Personally, I think Lady Gaga or Beyonce should have received that award. They are both infinitely more talented, but then again, I'm not a stuck up,m stuffed shirt, music critic who voted for some overrated teen who they felt sorry for, now am I?

All that aside, I really wish I could have watched the entire ceremony, live, but we can't always have what we want, right? I'm still watching bits and pieces, and am impressed with the performances, but again, this was an awards show, not some type of concert, y'know?

Maybe I'm alone in thinking that, though.

No comments: