Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super Bowl Musings

Unless you've been living under a rock the since Sunday night, you are more than aware that the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl. Those are words I thought I'd never say/type, but sure enough, it happened. Congratulations are in order for them.

Living down here in south Louisiana, you can imagine I've gotten more than an oversaturation of hearing about them. However, there have been a bit less of them than I expected.

Let me talk about halftime for a second. The Who were awesome, don't get me wrong, but who are they? I mean, let's face it, much of the audience that watches the game (myself included) wasn't around when they were in their heyday. I'm not saying it was a bad choice, but I just think they could have found someone a bit more relevant.

I realize that the whole Janet Jackson thing a few years back has the NFL shaking in their boots to let a modern artist perform at halftime, but they need grow a pair. I'm not saying they need to get Lil' Wayne, Adam Lambert, or some other controversial act, but what about Alicia Keys, Daughtry, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Kings of Leon, Beyonce, or something along those lines? Those are all modern artists who I think would be a good choice. Maybe its just me, though.

Also, 30 minutes for halftime! For the coaches and the performers this isn't bad, but put yourself in the player's heads, especially the ones that are on a hot streak, or the team that is losing. They're ready to get back out there, and having to sit in the locker room for 30 minutes is just making them ansy, kinda like having to wait 2 weeks to play the game. Of course, nothing is gonna be done about this since its all about the money and ratings, and the players don't matter.

My disdain for the Saints aside, the game wasn't half bad, but the let down had to have been the commercials. Yes, I said the commercials.

Face it people, alot of us tune in to watch the commercials just as much as the game. I know that this is one of the few times of the year, if not the only time, that I actually don't flip through the channels during the commercials.

Usually, though, there is some commercial that sticks in your mind, but this year, it was a bit of a letdown. Sure there were some good ones, but a month from now, I seriously doubt that I'll remember what commercials were shown.

That just isn't right. I feel kind of robbed! I expect to see something that I'll remember! lol

So, it wasn't a good Sunday for me. The freakin' Saints won (which literally made me sick to my stomach) and there weren't any memorable commercials. Ugh! Oh, and to top it off, football season is over now, so now it's on to total boredom until March Madness and the NBA Finals (the only thing that comes even close to keeping my attention until the season starts back) lol

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I am going to remember just what a waste of $3 million was that Coke commercial with The Simpsons for a long, long time. So, I suppose it can be argued that it was effective.

Mystery Man said...

at least it was 3 hrs of no feminine hygeine products...lol