Friday, January 30, 2009

Reality TV invades Dallas Cowboys

It is no secret that I am no fan of reality TV, so to hear that one of my favorite NFL teams, the Dallas Cowboys are considering doing a reality show just has me dumbfounded.

I don't know all the details and last I heard it was just in the works, but knowing owner Jerry Jones, it's just a matter of time as long as he can make money. The premise of the show is that a bunch of guys will compete for a spot of the team roster.

I'm a little torn on this, because on one hand, you're giving a shot to someone who never would have gotten one otherwise. On the other hand, someone who may have just been on the cusp on making the team and might actually be better than the winner won't make it because of this guarantee.

The other bit of reality coming out of Dallas is that VH1 is producing a reality show about T.O.(Terrell Owens). Based on his personality, I think this could be interesting, especially since it's during the off season, but if they pick it up for a second season and cameras start floating around the Cowboys locker room in the fall following T.O. around...well, let's just say it won't be pretty. Sportswriters already jump on the man if he forgets to cover his mouth after he sneezes. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but not as much as I would like to.

All this aside, I honestly think that Jerry Jones is more concerned with creating a sideshow than winning another Super Bowl, and as a Cowboy fan, its very disconcerting. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.

No comments: