Monday, September 22, 2008

Maybe I'm not as much of a good guy as I think I am

I consider myself a really good guy. I'm one of those rare breed that will hold the door open for anyone, pull out the chair for a lady, etc.

Today, however, I'm not so sure I'm as good of a guy. I got home and this guy was walking down the street. I thought nothing of it. I figured he was just out for a some air or headed somewhere else. He comes up to me and asks if he can use my phone because his truck won't start, he's lost his phone, and he needs to get to work.

The guy didn't look like a thug or anything. Just a little dirty, but he works construction, what do you expect? All he wanted to do was use the phone. He even offered to pay for it.

I didn't want to be rude, and I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but I just wasn't comfortable letting him in my house. If I would have had my cell on me, he could have used it, but I had left it here at the house this morning.

I feel bad. I mean, by not letting this guy use the phone to call his boss, I may have cost him his job, which may drive him to a life of crime or suicide. How can I live with myself after that? Think I'll go see if he's still out there and let him use my cell. At least I'll have peace of mind that way.

No comments: