Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Crimson Crime

Why is it such a crime to be a redhead these days? does everyone have to be blonde or brunette? I've been watching a lot of TV and movies this summer and it all seems to be geared towards eradicating the world of redheads. Reminds me of that episode of South Park where Cartman went all Nazi and tried to kill all the ginger kids.

I was especially perturbed when I watched Clueless this weekend and in the course of making over Brittany Murphy, Alicia Silverstone and Stacey Dash changed her beautiful red hair to strawberry blonde. MTV had a similar thing last week. This show called Made had some girl that was trying to be dancer. Well, in the last few days before she was supposed to be in this talent show and show off what she learned, they gave her a makeover. Guess what they did? Cut her red hair off and dyed it blonde. WTF?!?

It seems like in our society, it's a cardinal sin to be a redhead. Chelsea Handler i always making fun of redheads. Of course, some of the famous redheads aren't exactly pillars of society such as Carrot Top, Kathy Griffin, etc.

However, just as there are shames to redheadedry, there are also those that bring pride to the redhead community. Lucille Ball, Angie Harmon, Debra Messing, Gillian Anderson, Julie Andrews all come to mind. Hell, Lucy even dyed her hair to be a redhead (don't quote me on that).

I'm all for being different. I think I may be one of the few people left in this country that feels that way. It seems like we're on a track to being assimilated into one idealistic society...kind of like the one in Demolition Man or Aeon Flux. Won't that be grand to not have our own thoughts and ideas and be told what to think, say, and do?

I'm not a redhead, but I know quite a few of them, and they have expressed this feeling to me. I hope that I'm just jumping to conclusions, but if I'm right...don't say I didn't warn you!

No comments: