Friday, August 8, 2008

What happened?

Myspace and facebook used to be good for meeting new and old friends, as well as wasting time on-line. Now they're just sites that I log on to check mail and stuff.

Mysapce is the site I prefer. I remember when I first got on there, I would go on there searching for new people to meet, chat up, and possibly even hook up with. That didn't last long, as I decided to delete all those non friendly friends (one of which was the infamous Tila Tequila) in exchange for people that share similar interests to me, went to school with me, or that I actually knew. At the time, I was also working in a computer lab, so the bulletins keep me pretty bus with filling out pretty much every one's surveys and other bulletins. This got to be a bit annoying, though. however, now I'm missing those bulletins. It seems no one even gets on there. If not for my obsession with comments and whatnot, I doubt there would even be a point to get on there other than to keep in touch with my old friends.

I joined facebook out of peer pressure. To this day, I still don't know how to use most of the stuff on there, but the applications keep me pretty occupied for a couple of minutes, and the poking keeps me in touch with people rather than leaving a comment that says something like "Hi! How are you? Long time no chat!" On top of all this, maybe it's just my comp, but the profile page seems to take forever to load, maybe it's all the crap I have on there. Unlike myspace, though, the friends I have on there, found me almost immediately after I joined!

After saying all this, I am reminded of a couple years ago when there as all this drama about the negative connotations of myspace and facebook. How neither site does a good job of policing itself, blah, blah, blah. On top of that, there have been references to both sites in various TV shows and movies. I have a theory that these reason have led to the downturn of both sites, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I still have both sites. No plans of deleting either account either. If you want to join me on there, e-mail me and I'll add you. Just don't be a stranger afterwards.

1 comment:

The Aesthetic Leo said...

Facebook is still a great utility, even with all those applications and whatnot.

But MySpace? To me, it's just a site for groupies and children to run around posing to be otherwise.