Thursday, October 23, 2008

Leave it to ESPN...

I was watching ESPN First Take which I recorded this morning and they got to talking about the University of TExas' quarterback, Colt McCoy and his decision to stay in school for his senior year next year.

Now, I don't know about you, but I alwasy thought that the thing that shoukd be first and foremost on your itinerary when you go to college is getting a degree. I know it was for me...even if it did take a little longer than expected.

So, you can imagine my chagrin when I hear them chastise him for his decision. What is so wrong with wanting to stay in school. I'm sure he does want to go to the NFL, but maybe, just maybe he wants to get his degree first. Everybody that goes in the NFL is going to be Peyton Manning, after all. It's good to have something to fall back on.

Iv just can't believe how both analysts said that he is making the wrong decision and should take the money. It was like they were saying he should take the money now and go back later. Wonder if they know that most people that leave college never make it back, including professional athletes!

So, as a native Texan and longtime Texas Longhorn fan, I tip my hat to Colt McCoy for making the right decision and putting his education first. ESPN analysts need to remember that while the guys on that field every Saturday are athletes, they are students first!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Yay, Colt McCoy!

This is Texas. You know priorities are God, Football, Education in that order (although the first two are often confused one of the other).

Hook 'em, Horns!